Friday, June 11, 2010

Forbidden Fruit

Last weekend I drove an hour to visit an old high school friend, who is studying and researching at the state school here. I spent the night (everybody give an accusatory "ooooooh!"), and on Saturday morning I gave him a ride home. We had already exhausted all the fresh gossip and fun stories the previous evening (before our chaste slumber in separate beds of course), so on the long drive the conversation ran to speculation about the high school gang:


Him: Who of our friends do you think will get married first?

Me (in a "duh" tone of voice): Well, me, of course.

Him (surprised): You? Really? Why?

Me: I'm the only Mormon. I mean, I'm the one that has the most incentive.

Him: What are you talking about?

Me: I can't have sex 'til I'm married.

Him: Oh. I didn't think you'd be so blunt about it.

(pause)

Him: That's a pretty big incentive.

Me: Yeah.



Hence the dating frenzy. And the frenzied makeouts.

The more I think about it (and discuss it with L), the more I realize what an incentive that is. I mean, I'm wasting my best years, biologically speaking, on religiously-motivated chastity. When I put it like that, I suppose it rather accentuates the sacrifices we LDS singles make on faith...


-Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment